Around Australia, parents have been actively meeting with federal candidates from all political persuasions to support the Solar Our Schools policy - solar and batteries in all schools and early childhood centres (means-tested).
Now, ask your federal elections candidates to make a pledge to support Solar Our Schools - if elected. Let's create a race to the top for renewables in schools!
WHAT IS IT?
In the lead-up to the federal election, we are asking all candidates to pledge their support for the rollout of solar and batteries for schools and early childhood centres in their electorate; and that if elected they will also support the rollout of solar and batteries in schools and early childhood centres across Australia.
Solar Our Schools will:
- Create 7000 renewable energy jobs around Australia,
- Savings from energy bills would enable another 4000 more teaching jobs, directly addressing the national teacher shortage.
- Save 1.4 million tonnes of carbon emissions from going into the atmosphere each year.
More than 12,000 parents around Australia have put their support behind Solar Our Schools because they want to see practical, shovel-ready climate solutions embraced by our federal and state and territory governments working in cooperation.
Federal candidates are encouraged by local residents to sign onto the Solar Our Schools pledge.
In return, Australian Parents for Climate Action (AP4CA) provides:
- An A3 pledge certificate for candidates
- Where possible a photo opportunity with parents in their electorate
- Social media collateral for candidates to show they have signed onto the pledge
- Promote the candidate’s pledge via a media release to local media
- Promotion of the candidate's pledge campaign results in national media releases
- Promotion of the candidate’s pledge via direct email to 15,000 supporters around Australia
- Promotion of the candidate’s pledge via our social media channels
We do not endorse the party or candidate, instead, we celebrate their support for the Solar Our Schools policy.
AP4CA is non-partisan, so we will also encourage other candidates in the electorate to support Solar Our Schools. We aim to make climate action a non-partisan issue and want to create a race to the top in embracing shovel-ready climate solutions.
GUIDANCE FOR HOW TO APPROACH CANDIDATES
- If possible, please approach all candidates in your electorate at once, to create a fair and level playing field. You can do this by emailing them all using this tool: https://ap4ca.good.do/candidatespledge/sos/
- Follow up your email with a call to the candidate's office within a few days to ask for a meeting with your candidate to discuss the pledge further. Whilst you are calling the candidate's office, be kind and courteous. Having a good relationship with the campaign manager or office manager may be the key to getting your foot in the door.
- You can ask your candidate to up their commitment to the pledge, thus encouraging a race to the top on renewables.
DOWNLOAD MATERIAL FOR CANDIDATES:
1. ONE PAGE SUMMARY OF SOLAR OUR SCHOOLS FOR CANDIDATE
2. A3 PLEDGE CERTIFICATE FOR CANDIDATES (PRINT QUALITY)
4. SOCIAL MEDIA TILE - INSTAGRAM
5. SOCIAL MEDIA TILE - TWITTER
6. SOCIAL CONTENT FOR CANDIDATES
7. MEDIA RELEASE FOR CANDIDATES